Fennel pie is a flavorful vegetable side dish to be eaten during the winter when you can source fresh fennels. It is quick to cook and can be served with a main course or as a main course itself. It can also be prepared in advance and then put into the oven just before sitting down to table.
- 1 kg fennels
- 4 tbsps flour
- 100 grs grated Parmesan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- 80 grs butter
- 1/2 liter milk
- 4 tbsps breadcrumbs
- Rinse and cut fennels into halves and boil in salted water for about 40 minutes until soft, then drain well.
- Squeeze fennels, cut into pieces and season with salt and pepper to your taste and a drizzle of oil. Prepare béchamel sauce over a low flame with 40 grs butter and flour, adding later milk.
- Stir and add salt, pepper and nutmeg until mixture becomes thick. Turn off the heat and let cool down.
- Grease a baking pan with the remaining butter and sprinkle with grated breadcrumbs. Start placing a first layer of fennels.
- Cover with béchamel sauce and Parmesan cheese. Make another layer of fennels and sauce and sprinkle the top with abundant grated breadcrumbs and a drizzle of oil.
- Put into the oven at 180°C for 40 minutes and turn on the oven grill button during the last 5 minutes. Let cool down and serve.