Cantucci are typical Tuscan dry biscuits originally from Prato. They are made by cutting warm dough with almonds into slices and then baking them into the oven for additional minutes. They should be paired with a small glass of vinsanto where cantucci are usually dunked into.
- 400 grs flour
- 250 grs sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 150 grs shelled almonds (but not peeled)
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 packet baking powder
- Whisk 2 whole eggs and 3 egg yolks with sugar, mix in flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Lightly toast almonds and add to batter.
- Shape batter into 5 cm wide and 1 cm tall loaves: lay in a buttered and floured baking pan, brush with a whisked egg with a tbsp sugar and put in the oven at 180°C.
- Bake for 20 minutes, slice into crosswise 1 cm wide sections and place back into oven for 10 additional minutes.