“Bacon Bread”, a delicious bread loaf flavored with pan-roasted bacon dices that is baked in wood-fired oven once well raised, is a traditional Easter recipe of Cortona.
- 400 grs bacon
- 800 grs flour
- 1 Brewer's yeast
- Dice bacon and melt it in a saucepan over a low flame. Dissolve yeast in ¼ liter lukewarm water.
- Once bacon has lost its fat, take off the flame and let cool down.
- Put flour in a bowl, add bacon with its oil, two pinches of salt and abundantly sprinkle with freshly ground peppercorns.
- Start kneading and mixing ingredients by slowly adding water with yeast.
- If necessary, add more water until reaching the right stiffness of dough. Form a loaf and wrap with a damp cloth, making it rise until dough is twice its initial volume.
- Once well raised, put into the oven at 180°C for about one hour.
- Let cool down and serve sliced.