The so-called Panzanella is a traditional summer dish of the peasant tradition that could be eaten by farmers working in the fields for the whole day away from home as it doesn’t require cooking. This recipe consists of soaked stale bread seasoned with olive oil, vinegar and vegetables and is perfect for the summertime because it can be prepared in advance by using seasonal vegetables.
- 500 grs stale Tuscan bread
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 8 basil leaves
- 2 celery ribs
- extra virgin olive oil
- Soak cut bread in a bowl of fresh water for 20 minutes.
- Rinse tomatoes, celery ribs and cucumber and cut them in medium-sized slices.
- Thinly slice onion.
- Drain and squeeze water out of bread and put it in a bowl.
- Add chopped vegetables and mix.
- Rinse basil and roughly cut it with your hands.
- Season bread with abundant vinegar, oil and salt.
- Add basil and mix for a few minutes.
- Before serving, let rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.