Roast goose, called “ciucio” in the local dialect, is a tasty and delicious dish as by poking its skin with a knife the oven heat allows rendering fat to trickle out and make meat softer and tastier. Notwithstanding long cooking times, roast goose is easy to make and if you have a wood-fired oven the result will be even more surprising.
- 3 kg goose
- fresh fennel
- 2 glasses white wine
- 4 cloves of garlic
- dried fennel
- extra virgin olive oil
- Pluck, gut and rinse goose and let drain.
- Finely chop garlic, dried and fresh fennel, add heavy salt and pepper. Flavor goose inside and outside with the seasoning you have just prepared.
- Make holes with a sharp knife in the goose legs and breast and add the remaining seasoning.
- Put goose in a baking pan and dress with oil and two glasses white wine.
- Place the dish in a preheated oven at 180°C-200°C and roast for about two hours, turn round and pour on its cooking sauce from time to time.