PALAZZO VENUTI (16th century) It is located at 70 and 72, Via Nazionale. The first Ridolfino Venuti, who died in 1602 and was buried like the second in the cathedral, left the palace in 1592 as final payment to the Cortonese architect Francesco Berrettini (who died in 1608),Pietro da Cortona’s uncle, for the work he did on the new house on the main street (ruga piana). The palace rises above the ancestral home of the Venuti. The facade has figures of the Venuti crest and is developed horizontally along Via Nazionale. The name Ridofino is carved on the door post of three of the doors on the first floor. The large fireplace and the entrance door are inscribed with Greek and Latin quotes. The doors are decorated with gouache paintings depicting popular allegories during the 17th century. On the ground floor we find two ashlar doors, while on the noble floor there are six large ashlar windows.
PALAZZO ZEFFERINI (16th century) This palace was built at the beginning of the 1600's in an area where the ancient residence of the Zefferini had stood between Via del Gesù and Via Zefferini, following a design by Filippo Berrettini (1585-1644),Pietro da Cortona’s cousin. The compact structure was developed on three floors. Below the windows on the ground floor there are large stone faces and various friezes with the Florentine lily.
PALAZZO UCCELLI (17th century) The Uccelli family palace is found at 38, Via Roma and is derived, as is evident from the 1600's map of Berrettini, from the fusion (probably at the end of the 1600's) of two tower houses which existed at 34/36 and 42/44, Via Roma. They were centrally connected by a structure which had a vaulted stairwell with stairs in pietra serena (the local sandstone). The work was commissioned by two members of the Uccelli family called Domenico and Antonio and the date 1752 is inscribed on a marble plaque over the entrance door to a chapel at 1, Vicolo Uccelli which remains behind it.
PALAZZO TOMMASI (18th century) This palace can be found at 1, Via Dardano. The palace should be remembered because a good part of the artwork and furnishings, paintings, furniture, ceramics, etc, were the property of Girolamo Tommasi, the last descendant of this prestigious family, and are now on display at the Etruscan Academy Museum, after they were donated by the widow Giulia Baldelli-Boni in the first years of the 20th century (1932). The palace is now property of the bishopric.
PALAZZO PETRELLA (18th century) This palace can be found at 15, Via Guelfa and in opposition to the others it is the only one which is still inhabited by the heirs of the family. It preserves in its interior notable objects of great value, like a library with various parchment and paper manuscripts from the 14th century. The library includes a three volume manuscript containing the constitution of Cortona.
PALAZZO MANCINI-FERRETTI (18th century) Projected in 1735 by architect Marco Tuscher on commission of the Mancini family, massive and imposing, it is an optimal expression of the Baroque style. In 1803 it received the Queen of Etruria, Maria Luisa Infant of Spain. It is a rectangular shaped building where the courthouse and some city offices can be found today at 45, Via Nazionale.
The areas outside the walls in the outskirts of the city are rich in places of historic and artistic revelations like the following:
THE FORTRESS OF PIERLE (13th century) The Fortress of Pierle is on the road that leads to Umbertide in Umbria, at about sixteen kilometers from Cortona. It was constructed by the Casali family around the end of the 13th century. Conquered by Ladislao, King of Naples, it was sold by him to the Florentine Republic along with the city of Cortona in 1411. It was built in a giant rectangular plan from which rose four towers, two of which are still visible.
THE PASSERINI PALACE AT FONTECUMOLA (16th century) called "Il Palazzone. It was constructed in 1521 by architect G. Battista Caporali on commission of Cardinal Silvio Passerini, whose crest is enthroned in the keystone in the archway over the great entrance door. The paintings of Luca Signorelli can be admired in the nobleman's chapel as well as the frescoes in the hall of honor by F. Bernabei, known as Papacello, and considered as one of Signorelli's best students. The frescoes present scenes of the Roman history, among which we should note The Battle of Trasimene, The Death of Marco Curzio, the Head of Asdrubale Thrown into the Field of Hannibal and others. Today the palace is property of the Scuola Normale of Pisa, which organizes major research conferences directed by prestigious scholars.
VILLA VENUTI A CATROSSE (18th century) This villa was constructed between 1725 and 1730 by architect Alessandro Galilei on commission of Domenico Girolamo Venuti. In 1740 Marcello Venuti entrusted architect Marcus Tuscher with the task of designing an expansion to the complex. The expansion was never executed but the magnificent plan was conserved.
VILLA TOMMASI A METELLIANO (18th century) The villa of Tommasi family in Metelliano was built by canon Niccolò Tommasi and was expanded and enlarged between 1833 and 1870. Among its splendid structures from the 1700's we find a chapel dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist. The villa is surrounded by an admirable Italian style garden.