CHURCH OF SAN NICCOLO' (15th century) The church of San Niccolò was built at the beginning of the 15th century in Romanic style with an elegant porch adorning the facade and the left side. In 1440 San Bernardino of Siena founded there the "Compagnia di San Niccolò". The high altar pre serves the standard of the compagnia, which was painted on both sides by Luca Signorelli. The front represents the Deposition of Christ surrounded by angels and saints. On the back there is the Madonna and Child enthroned between Saint Peter and Saint Paul. On the left wall we see a deteriorated fresco by Luca Signorelli portraying the Virgin with the child surrounded by various saints.
CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA ASSUNTA (CATHEDRAL) (15th century) The church of Santa Maria Assunta known as the Cathedral or Duomo has been built on the ruins of the ancient parish church visible on the facade. It is one of the oldest if not the oldest church of the city. It was constructed at the dawn of the age of Christianity, perhaps in the 4th century, on the foundations of a pagan temple. Its actual form is due to constructions that took place in the second half of the 14th century according to some designs attributed to Giuliano da Sangallo. Immediately after the new construction, the church was declared the Diocesan Cathedral in place of the church of San Vincenzo, located outside the walls. The central doorway and the side door are both works by Cristofanello (16th century). The main altar was created in 1664 by Francesco Mazzuoli of Cortona. The bell-tower of 1566 is the work of Cortonese architect Francesco Laparelli, who designed the city of La Valletta on the island of Malta and the fortification of the Mass of Sant'Angelo Castle in Rome. The interior of the church has undergone heavy remodeling in the 18th century. Over the altars in the chorus various paintings are preserved: The Nativity by Pietro da Cortona, The Death of Saint Joseph by Lorenzo Berrettini, a Crucifixion and the Doubting Saint Thomas from the Signorelli School, The Communion of the Madonna by Sante Castellucci and two Madonnas with saints, one by Cigoli and the other by Alessandro Allori. The marble ciborium on the left wall of the presbytery is attributed to Ciuccio di Nuccio. In the Venuti chapel on the right of the apse are the tombs of the three brothers Marcello, Ridolfino and Filippo who founded the Etruscan Academy. On the right rear wall there is a funerary monument to Cortonese citizen Giovan Battista Tommasi, Gran Maestro dell'Ordine di Malta. Through a door in the floor placed at the center of the presbytery we can access the crypt where the tombs of some of the bishops of the diocese were placed.
CHIESA DI SAN MARCO (16th century) The Church of San Marco is made up of two churches that are placed one over the other. They were built by the Compagnia della Santissima Trinità dei Laici in 1580 and were dedicated to the Holy Trinity. With the destruction of the old church of San Marco in the 18th century, the present church, which was not too far away, took the title and the name of San Marco. It is the church of the patron saint of the city. It has a single nave in Baroque style designed by Sellari. The canvas on the right side altar is attributed to Commodi and portrays Saint Carlo Borromeo. The Church contained the Lorenzetti crucifix that is now at the Diocesan Museum. The lower church is very beautiful with painted vault ceilings and canvases painted with scenes from the sacred history. On the facade that watches over the valley there is a large mosaic portraying San Marco created by Gino Severini (1883-1966).
CHURCH OF THE SPIRITO SANTO (17th century) The Church of the Spirito Santo (the Holy Spirit), like the one of San Domenico, was constructed outside the city walls. This church at the gateway of Sant'Agostino is also dedicated to the Visitation of the Holy Mary. It was built between 1637 and 1669 according to the designs of Filippo Berrettini. The dome and the facade were finished in 1751. The floor is built on a slight Latin cross plan. The facade is harmonious and elegant. It is constructed of uneven blocks of pietra serena and divided into two by a horizontal strip of cornice. The upper half is topped by a belfry with on small opening and has one central square window. From the belfry there are two angular pilaster strips, which are finished at the bottom by a case. Two other pilaster strips depart from the cornice and run along the lower half. These details give a pleasant upward motion and neoclassic grace. The interior of the church is characterized by the contrast of the white stucco with the gray pietra serena, which gives the architectural lines a Renaissance look. The high altar is the work of Fabbrucci (1687-1767), who also created the statues of Faith and Charity. On this altar there is an image of the Virgin Mary, while on the left side altar there is a canvas with the Madonna, with images of Purgatory and Santa Margherita by an unknown artist, below the altar is a wooden statue by Fabbrucci. In the altar on the right side there is the Madonna with Baby Jesus, Santa Margherita and San Felice by Giuseppe Angeli, a student of the artist Piazzetta.
CHURCH OF SAN BENEDETTO (18th century) The church of San Benedetto was constructed in an oval Baroque shape by the Scolopi Fathers in 1722. The frescoed vaulted ceiling painted by Florentine artist, Taddeo Mazzi (17th century) has an image of Saint Joseph Casalanzio. The altar is dominated by a wooden statue of Christ tied to a column, an expressionist work of the 17th century.
CHURCH OF SANT'ANDREA IN SAN FILIPPO (18th century) The Church of Sant’Andrea in San Filippo is a Baroque construction from 1720. It was built by Cortonese architect Iannelli. By choice of the Philippian Fathers, to whom the church was entrusted, the building took the name of the old church of Sant’Andrea, which was located in Piazza Signorelli and was demolished in the same century with the addition of San Filippo. The Madonna is portrayed in a canvas by Piazzetta (1745) on the left side altar, while on the right side altar there is a canvas by Cortonese artist Domenico Venuti representing San Filippo Neri and the Madonna. The main altar is the work of Cortonese artist Francesco Fabbrucci.